11/4 in a nutshell…
Hour 1 hops, skips and jumps from pre-Wailers Marley (early Beverleys stuff) to pre-YMO Hosono (J-Ska from ’76, y’all) with a pre-Rocksteady Stop That Train and Don Drummond’s pre-mortem Memorial as stops along the way. It’s the pre-Sherwood’s Planet set!
Speaking of Mr. Funn, he finished some Cozy Cole business started 2 weeks ago (Topsy I II) by playing the little-heard Turvy I and Turvy II. 3 spooky surf bands, 3 Suns, and some Good Old Progressive Jazz later, we had an Alcatraz Peace Pipe, some Funk Rings, Mooncussers (air-safe, y’all) and more mid-‘70s Harry Hosono magic. The Cap’n and Cozy came back honoring an old request for some Aggrolites as part of a Ska Bands Do Reggae 4@4, and Ernest Ranglin’s Lollie-of-the-Week was sung ably by Alana Davis… and just before The End, Mr. Trouble meets The Munsters!
Five stories from KFAI’s 10,000 Fresh Voices series, featuring:
1. Dia de los Muertos, produced by Allison Herrera
2. The Haunted Soap Factory, produced by Jessica Folker
3. Graphic Novelist Will Dinski, produced by Britt Aamodt
4. Sound Artist Viv Corringham, produced by Bill Lindeke
5. Global Mamas, produced by Michelle Alimoradi