KFAI is a volunteer-based community radio station that exists to broadcast information, arts and entertainment programming for an audience of diverse racial, social and economic backgrounds. By providing a voice for people ignored or misrepresented by mainstream media, KFAI increases understanding between peoples and communities, while fostering the values of democracy and social justice.
The following editorial policies are in place to keep all KFAI electronic communications in service to our mission.
- Submissions must be accompanied by author’s name and contact information (email or phone number). Authors will be contacted to verify information.
- Submissions are overseen by Pam Hill Kroyer (firstname.lastname@example.org; 612.341.3144 × 22). Oversight is intended to ensure: that electronic submissions meet KFAI's editorial guidelines; that submissions of the most timely and relevant nature are given precedence in the newsletter; and, that reader comments and questions consistently reach designated staff.
- Submitted content must be related to KFAI's music, news, community, and cultural programming.
- Articles must be submitted by the 10th of the month for publication in the following month's issue. We prefer that articles be submitted by email but will accept typewritten articles.
- KFAI reserves the right to edit submissions for content and article length in relation to available space.
- The recommended length for articles is 200-300 words, but an article profiling a volunteer, programmer, or listener-member, may be up to 1,200 words. If an accepted article is more than 300 words, it may be continued on the KFAI web site through a link from the newsletter.
- The KFAI Network will include profiles of diverse current volunteers and programmers. The profile subjects will be chosen based on a combination of these criteria: length of service to KFAI; type of work a volunteer or programmer does for the organization; and, volunteer/programmer demographics (e.g. diversity of age, gender, ethnic background, etc.). For example, KFAI staff will take care to not have several female music programmers featured in a row; over time, profiles should show the diversity of people giving time and service to KFAI and listeners, as well as the different types of programs offered through KFAI.
- Profiles of listener-members are encouraged! KFAI Staff will work to accommodate profiles of listener-members submitted for the KFAI Network.
- Profiles of volunteers, programmers, and listener-members, will be archived on the web site.
- Images may be submitted electronically to accompany articles. Staff will work to accommodate multiple images; however, the images may not all be included in the newsletter. For multiple images, some may be posted on the web site. Please include a photographer credit when possible. Any images submitted will be considered available for limited use by KFAI, i.e. for use in KFAI-related communications or publications.
- In keeping with KFAI’s mission, KFAI, Fresh Air Inc, does not condone personal attacks, hateful speech, nor will the station condone racially or ethnically offensive or derogatory content. Please do not submit articles or images which may include this type of content.
- KFAI and KFAI’s newsletter must adhere to FCC Obscenity and Indecency laws. Please do not submit articles or images which may include FCC banned content. Click here for sensitive language guidelines.
- KFAI does not accept articles for the newsletter which endorse political candidates or advocate religious views.
- The editorial policies will be available to view at any time on our web site. Any changes to KFAI’s editorial policies will be posted on our web site.
- Any views or opinions expressed in the KFAI Network do not necessarily reflect those of the KFAI Board of Directors or KFAI staff.
Take me back to the KFAI Network main page